The Student News Site of Romeoville High School

Spartus

Spartus

Spartus

Athlete of the Month: September Edition!

Danny Meyers Boys Golf

Without a doubt, school is tough to maintain. Dangerously close due dates, overwhelming amounts of homework, test preparations, and arduous classes make it difficult to keep a calm mind; especially when involved in any sort of sport.

Student-athletes often stay after school for long periods of time for practice, games, and any other team meetings that occur in between. The extra workload adds yet another variable to their already-filled agenda. Not only do they have to maintain a high performance on the court but they also excel academically. To motivate our hard-working student-athletes, Athlete of the Month has been established to recognize some of our most diligent players.

As of the month of September, here are a few athletes who were chosen for their hard work, sportsmanship, and performance:

Football is one of the most physically demanding sports out there. It requires great excretion, endurance, agility, strength, as well as situational awareness. An athlete who has shown their abilities astoundingly, is Richard Conley, Grade 10 with a quarterback position.

“In only 5 games Richard has already surpassed our passing yards and TD’s from last season. He has accounted for a total of 716 yards and 8 TD’s on the season” stated Coach Trovato, Head Football Coach.

People don’t want to miss the intense game of Soccer! Being swift, awareness of the ball, and team effort is only a few things a game of soccer is known for. The immense attention and concentration are one of the most challenging aspects of the game. Here, we have another athlete who has demonstrated all characteristics and victories: Leo Renteria.

A quick word with Coach Cirrincione as he describes his performance so far: “Leo has had a great month and has been scoring big goals in big games. Leo is a 3-year varsity athlete and has done a great job this year.”

Next up we have one of the most teamwork-heavy sports; Volleyball. A sport that is big on teamwork, cooperation, agility, and not to mention, communication. There are skills that student-athletes are able to get out of this sport that it becomes an advantage in life later on. Those are discipline, concentration, eagerness, and leadership. This month’s shout-out goes to Demi Cole, who dominated the court and went above and beyond!

When asked which player should represent the Girls Volleyball team Coach Reinert stated: “I would like to nominate Demi Cole for Athlete of the Month. She is our varsity starting middle for volleyball and team captain. She has recently committed to play NCAA DI Volleyball at the University of California Davis to continue her academic and athletic career. Demi is a strong hitter, our leading blocker, and a great teammate. She makes an effort to know the entire program and has made a positive impact on her high school volleyball career! She had 34 blocks and 74 kills for the season so far!”

A link to Demi Coles’ gameplay is also included and encouraged to support as follows;
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/16662830/65099ea52ab1340be4e8c806

Last but not least, there is Golf. A sport that is made possible at this school also demonstrates a lot of skills that go underestimated. Self-belief, focus, conscious, and methodical are only some necessary traits that a successful golfer has. A student-athlete who was nominated by Coach Bambule is Danny Myers.

“Danny shot a 78 at Blackberry Oaks to finish 7th at the SPC Conference meet. Danny earned all-conference this year.” Coach Bambule said.

Please take a moment to congratulate the nominated athletes and cheer them on!