The Student News Site of Romeoville High School

Spartus

Spartus

Spartus

CosMc’s, McDonalds’ Spinoff Restaurant

The+restaurant+opened+in+Bolingbrook+on+December+7%2C+2023.+Its+located+where+that+Boston+Market+used+to+be.+Coincidentally%2C+that+restaurant+is+owned+by+none+other+than+McDonalds+itself.+More+are+expected+to+come%2C+starting+with+Texas.+
    The restaurant opened in Bolingbrook on December 7, 2023. It’s located where that Boston Market used to be. Coincidentally, that restaurant is owned by none other than McDonald’s itself. More are expected to come, starting with Texas.

So I’m sure you may have already heard of this spinoff restaurant that McDonald’s opened recently. It’s been talked about throughout the entire school. Trust me, even one of my friends got mad at me when I asked him about it because that’s all he’s ever been hearing. Well, if you’ve been living under a rock, let me tell you about the sister restaurant that’s trademarked as “CosMc’s”.

CosMc’s has had its first official opening in Bolingbrook, Illinois. Romeoville neighbors that town, so you may actually want to visit it right now. Anyway, this place is named after a certain McDonald’s character that appeared in ads from 1986 to 92. He was a space alien who craved the restaurant’s food. The yellow, blue and silver colors of the restaurant seem to resemble that of the character as well. It seems to contain a 4-lane drive thru with no sit-in.

Now with the history out of the way, I know you’re definitely curious about the menu. Say no more! Unlike the main joint, CosMc’s features are targeted to people that have a sweet tooth. Instead of burgers and fries, it serves many sandwiches, sweets and drinks. It’s basically the “snacky” version of McDonald’s and is similar to other places like Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks. Speaking of the those 2 restaurants, the coffee industry has been booming quite recently, so much so that even McDonalds’ CEO, Chris Kempczinski, described it as an “attractive and fast growing category”. CNN described the new CosMc’s to be their “answer to Starbucks”.

Where we’re at in Romeoville, we’re pretty lucky to have the restaurant be close to us, though one could probably ask why they choose Bolingbrook as the first town of all places. Well, us Illinoisans might not know this, but our state is essentially the big boss when it comes to McDonalds; the head honcho; the main hub; the epicenter–alright you get it. Why, you may ask? Well, the company was founded by brothers Maurice and Richard McDonald along with hired agent Ray Kroc and the very first restaurant–albeit no longer there–opened in Des Plaines, ILLINOIS. The company’s headquarters is actually located in Chicago. That’s right: Chi-Town. In fact, there’s even a training facility university by the headquarters known as Hamburger University, where students study to become managers or owners of their own restaurant. So yes, Illinois is once again the core of the restaurant, which would make sense for their new place to open in a town in that state that’s close enough to Chicago.

Some of the menu items include:

• Creamy Avocado Tomatillo Sandwich
    • Spice Queso Sandwich
    • McPops
    • Pretzel Bites Hash Brown Bites
    • Twist Ice Cream Cone
    • Blueberry Lemon Cookie Sundae
    • Caramel Fudge Brownie
    • Cookies
    • Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae
    • Churro Frappe
    • Smores Cold Brew
    • Sour Cherry Energy Burst
    • Tropical Spiceade
    • Blueberry Ginger Boost
    • Blackberry Mint Green Tea
    • Island Pick-Me-Up Punch
    • Berry Hibiscus Sourade
    • Popping Pea Slush
    • Sour Tango Lemonade
    • Chai Frappe Burst
    • Tumeric Spiced Latte